Monday 16 May 2016

MAC Vibe Tribe Call of The Canyon Quad

Review and Swatches

 Seeing the promotional editorials for MAC's summer 2016 collection, Vibe Tribe, really inspired me as I loved the colours and culture it represented and despite the cultural appropriation issues and bad press, I was itching to shop the full collection. Upon release I was a little disappointed with the collection and only ended up purchasing the Call of the Canyon eye shadow quad (I did really like the look of the bronzers, but I have far too many already and have no room for more!).

The palette is neutral in tone apart from the mandarin shade and they are really blendable and the colour is easily buildable. I will say, however that the pigmentation isn't fantastic on the gold shade (Fools Gold - Frost), but it does create a really pretty finish on the eye.

(Left to right: Call of the Canyon, Fool's Gold, Thunderbolt, Summer Sun)
(Top to bottom: Summer Sun, Thunderbolt, Fool's Gold, Call of the Canyon)

 
Shade breakdown:
 
Call of the Canyon (Veluxe Pearl): Off-white, pearly shimmer with no glitter. Beautifully highlights the inner corners, brow bone and cupids bow, but starts to fade after around 2 hours even when used over a base.
 
Fool's Gold (Frost): Shimmery, sandy gold. Perfect amount of pigmentation for a subtle, almost sun kissed, golden sheen to the eye. No problems with creasing or fading throughout the day.
 
Thunderbolt (Lustre): Charcoal grey with gold shimmer. Good pigmentation for a lustre finish, no fading or creasing and is great for giving summer-y smoky look to the eye.
 
Summer Sun (Frost): Coral mandarin with a golden sheen (like an orange-based version of Nars Orgasm blush). Good pigmentation, no problems with fading or creasing and looks great used on its own as a wash of colour all over the eye as part of a bronzed look.
 
 
Overall I like this quad. It's not perfect and is probably a little expensive for what it actually provides, but I would still have purchased it knowing what I do from trying it out.
I have better highlight shades in my collection than the palettes namesake 'Call of the Canyon', but at the same time I don't have anything that is similar and I do still quite like it even though the longevity is disappointing. This palette will definitely be getting a lot of use over the summer.
 
 
-EF

No comments:

Post a Comment