Friday 29 April 2016

Makeup Revolution Radiance Palette vs Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder



 I initially bought the travel size Ambient Lighting Powder due to the massive hype that surrounded this innovative product and I didn't fancy paying nearly £40 for the full size if it turned out not that great (the travel size isn't that cheap either at around £17 for 1.4g).

My initial impression upon first applying it was that it did create a nice finish on the skin but nothing worth noting and I think even that could have been a placebo effect as when I applied it to one half of my face and asked a friend to guess which one... she guessed the opposite side. I tried it out with different brushes but none made that much of a difference, however I will say that the application was a best using a mid-density brush.

(Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Travel Size: Dim Light)


A few months later I noticed that Makeup Revolution, famed for its high quality and low cost, had brought out a 'dupe' for the Ambient Lighting Powder called the Radiance Palette. So I did a little bit of research and found that a lot of people actually preferred the Radiance Palette to its pricier counterpart and for £8 it was worth a shot.

(Makeup Revolution Radiance Palette: 1st shade)

 
It's so obvious that this palette is meant to be a less expensive alternative to the Ambient Lighting Palette and although I can only vouch for the Dim Light shade, I personally think that it would be a waste of money to buy the Hourglass powder if you can get your hands on this. The MUR powders give an incredible 'lit-from-within' look to the skin that the Hourglass one just doesn't do and you can see from the swatches that the Hourglass powder is nearly matte compared to the soft glow that the MUR one provides.

(Left: MUR Radiance Palette first shade, Right: Hourglass)
To summarise, in my opinion, the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder (available here) does give a nice, soft finish to the skin, but not to the extent the marketing and hype would lead you to believe. Whereas the Makeup Revolution Radiance Palette (available here) is incredible finely milled and gives a very lifted and illuminated - but not shiny - finish to the skin.
 
 
- EF

No comments:

Post a Comment